Definition of golden plover in English:
A northern Eurasian and North American plover, with a gold-speckled back and black face and underparts in the breeding season.
- Genus Pluvialis, family Charadriidae: three species, in particular P. apricaria of Europe and P. dominica of Canada
- One bright aspect is new research showing that heather moorland managed for shooting is a haven for other wildlife and rare upland birds, such as black grouse, golden plovers, curlew and lapwing.
- It is the home of the lapwing, curlew, golden plover, dunlin and red grouse.
- They include pine marten, wildcat, stoat and weasel as well as golden eagles, merlin, peregrine falcon, golden plover and in time black grouse and capercaillie.
Definition of golden plover in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.