- 1(In Jewish legend) a clay figure brought to life by magic.More example sentences
- The golem of Jewish legend, for example, is a powerful automaton.
- The idea of the android clearly has close links to the medieval Jewish stories of the golem.
- You most likely know of the clay golem; most people do.
- 1.1An automaton or robot.More example sentences
- He has been credited with having created the golem, a Frankenstein figure, a living being without soul.
- Once the assassin passed the golem, the golem awoke with pure rage in his eyes.
- Often in these legends, the golems take on a life of their own, and gain increasing power the longer they are animated.
late 19th century: from Yiddish goylem, from Hebrew gōlem 'shapeless mass'.
More definitions of golemDefinition of golem in:
- The British & World English dictionary