Definition of gonad in English:
nounPhysiology & Zoology
1An organ that produces gametes; a testis or ovary.
- It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.
- Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.
- To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.
- Example sentences
- Females develop an extrusion of the gonadal papilla and a distended abdomen when gravid.
- For example, gonadotropins that are produced by the hypothalamic-pituitary gland stimulate secretion of gonadal steroids.
- Nutrition, exercise, gonadal steroids, and growth hormone and body composition all play a role in bone density.
Definition of gonad in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan