Definition of gooey in English:
adjective (gooier, gooiest)informal
1Soft and sticky.
- Prepare everything 48 hours in advance to allow the sugary chocolate to become gooey and sticky and begin to seep into the layers of creamy cranberry.
- I was starving, so was pleased that my sag aloo starter - a deliciously red, gooey mess of soft potato pieces in spices - was a decent size.
- Alternatively, give ordinary croissants a makeover and stuff them with smoked salmon and gooey soft cheese.
1.1Mawkishly sentimental: you can love somebody without going all gooey
More example sentences
- The writers juggled a nice mix of comedy, drama and romance pretty well, only occasionally stumbling into gooey sentimentality.
- Some say it's gooey and sentimental but I think it's beautiful.
- There isn't a whole lot of gooey sentimentality and no symbolic Robert Frost poems.
- Example sentences
- I'd been watching the stats build all day with a sense of gooeyness thinking all my mates were checking the site on mass out of concern for me.
- Something called Sticky Toffee Pudding was infused with a delicate, gourmet gooeyness, and the banana cream pie had the kind of sugary, cheesecake-style crust you rarely see south of the Mason-Dixon line.
- Nearly 20 percent of us are repelled by raw tomatoes (something about the gooeyness inside the firmness), and about the same fraction of us simply don't like trying new foods.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan