noun (plural googlies)Cricket
- A ball bowled with a deceptive bounce.More example sentences
- Indeed, he could bowl the googly at about slow-medium pace and where, in exceptional conditions, the pitch dictated it, he could be a fine slow bowler.
- He used to bowl two googlies, one from the top and one that he used to bowl from shoulder height.
- Reports that he can no longer bowl the googly are wide of the mark: Graham Thorpe says Warne bowled him two on Wednesday in the County Championship match at the Rose Bowl.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of googlyDefinition of googly in:
- The British & World English dictionary