(also gooseneck barnacle)
Definition of goose barnacle in English:
A stalked barnacle that hangs down from driftwood or other slow-moving floating objects, catching passing prey with its feathery legs.
- Genus Lepas, class Cirripedia
- In addition, Galician shellfish gatherers supply Western Europe with a host of delicacies, from crabs, clams, cockles and mussels, to the exquisite goose barnacle which is found nowhere else in the world.
- Other species of goose barnacle such as Lepas anatifera are more common and attach to bits of flotsam such as wood, plastic containers etc.
- While Brits eat turkey at Christmas, Spaniards look forward to festive feasts of clams, crabs, cockles, mussels, octopus and goose barnacles.
Definition of goose barnacle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.