Definition of gooseberry in English:
noun (plural gooseberries)
1A round edible yellowish-green or reddish berry with a thin translucent hairy skin.
- Apples, crab apples, gooseberries, and some plums and grapes usually contain enough natural pectin to form a gel.
- Outdoor-grown rhubarb is the only indigenous fruit till the gooseberries and very early strawberries show their faces next month.
- ‘Josta’ berry takes the looks of a gooseberry, removes the thorns, and makes it sweeter.
2The thorny shrub that bears the gooseberry.
- Ribes grossularia, family Grossulariaceae
- Every time my gooseberry bush starts to bear fruit, it develops a fungus.
- There were figs, walnuts, mulberries, apples, pears, damsons, gooseberries, elderberries, raspberries - and chickens, which we had inherited from the previous owners.
- To the rear of Old Hall is a large walled garden that has lawns and a variety of plants and shrubs, as well as strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, plum and apple trees.
Words that rhyme with gooseberryDewsbury • Bloomsbury
Definition of gooseberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan