Definition of goosefish in English:
noun (plural same or goosefishes)North American
A bottom-dwelling anglerfish. Also called monkfish.
- Family Lophiidae: several species, in particular Lophius americanus of North American waters
- A curious and unwary fish would become a meal when the goosefish inhaled and quickly engulfed its prey.
- Since the goosefish is found very deep in the ocean it is a cold water fish.
- In addition to being squat and rather ugly looking, goosefishes have a ‘fishing lure’ on top of their head.
Definition of goosefish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan