1Each of three sisters, Stheno, Euryale, and Medusa, with snakes for hair, who had the power to turn anyone who looked at them to stone.
- He goes on a quest to kill the gorgon Medusa and is helped by Hermes and Aphrodite.
- Soon the holy image of the gorgon Medusa as an ancient symbol of female power and wisdom became totally unacceptable.
- The gorgons were three sisters, only one of whom, Medusa, was mortal.
1.1A fierce, frightening, or repulsive woman.
- In fact, she was a wonderful contrast to some of the archive gorgons we had encountered over the years in military and political archives.
- I drink expensive drinks, eat at chi-chi over-priced LES restaurants, shop like a gorgon from hell on a day-pass, and hell, I SMOKE.
- Politically loathsome as the character may be, the actress found herself inventing dialogue to humanise the gorgon.
Via Latin from Greek Gorgō, from gorgos 'terrible'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.