Definition of gorgonian in English:
A colonial coral of an order distinguished by a horny, treelike skeleton, including the sea fans and precious red coral. Also called horny coral.
- Order Gorgonacea, class Anthozoa
- So I used the last dive of the day to shoot several reef scenes of crinoids sitting among soft corals and gorgonians, and a pair of yellow ghost pipefish.
- There are many small creatures to photograph among the soft corals, gorgonians, hard corals and sponges.
- Soft corals and gorgonians reach out from the overhanging sides, while shoals of fish swirl in the shade.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to Gorgons or gorgonians.
- Several ‘fingers' of rock, each densely covered in gorgonian fans, projected out into the blue.
- The coral and sponge growth was again lush, but with far healthier gorgonian colonies away from the sometimes violent swells of Diamond Rock.
- This dive is better in the deeper section, where large gorgonian seafans stretch out into the current, surrounded by large numbers of fish, corals, invertebrates, and some huge barrel sponges.
Words that rhyme with gorgonianAberdonian, Amazonian, Apollonian, Babylonian, Baconian, Bostonian, Caledonian, Catalonian, Chalcedonian, Ciceronian, Devonian, draconian, Estonian, Etonian, Ionian, Johnsonian, Laconian, Macedonian, Miltonian, Newtonian, Oregonian, Oxonian, Patagonian, Plutonian, Tennysonian, Tobagonian, Washingtonian
Definition of gorgonian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia