A yellow-flowered shrub of the pea family, the leaves of which are modified to form spines, native to western Europe and North Africa.
- Genus Ulex, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular the very spiny U. europaeus, which was introduced to North America.
- There was a little colour in the yellow gorse and the silver birch.
- Elsewhere, dozens of residents had to be evacuated in Gwent, Wales, where hundreds of mature trees, bracken, gorse and shrubs were destroyed.
- Thousands of saplings were planted and native gorse was established to create wildlife habitats.
- Example sentences
- Brushwood Hill is the high, gorsy knoll of gravel against which Chester farmhouse is built.
- Where Lowell lived, this consisted of low-lying conifers, alders, and gorsy thicket.
- The walk along the track is firstly through gorsy terrain, then it becomes easier (long pants are a good idea).
Words that rhyme with gorsecoarse, corse, course, divorce, endorse (US indorse), enforce, force, hoarse, horse, morse, Norse, perforce, reinforce, sauce, source, torse
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gorse in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.