- A large, short-winged hawk resembling a large sparrow hawk.
More example sentences
- Genus Accipiter, family Accipitridae: several species, in particular the northern goshawk (A. gentilis) of Eurasia and North America
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- Similarly shaped raptors, such as peregrine falcons and goshawks, are adept at the agile pursuit and rapid capture of birds in flight.
- The gamekeeper, for a private shooting estate in the valley, faces 19 charges under the Wildlife Act, including 10 of killing rare peregrine falcons, goshawk and sparrowhawk.
Old English gōshafoc, from gōs 'goose' + hafoc 'hawk'.
More definitions of goshawkDefinition of goshawk in:
- The British & World English dictionary