Definition of goshawk in English:
A large, short-winged hawk resembling a large sparrow hawk.
- Genus Accipiter, family Accipitridae: several species, in particular the northern goshawk (A. gentilis) of Eurasia and North America
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- Similarly shaped raptors, such as peregrine falcons and goshawks, are adept at the agile pursuit and rapid capture of birds in flight.
- The gamekeeper, for a private shooting estate in the valley, faces 19 charges under the Wildlife Act, including 10 of killing rare peregrine falcons, goshawk and sparrowhawk.
Old English gōshafoc, from gōs 'goose' + hafoc 'hawk'.
Words that rhyme with goshawkpitchfork • nighthawk
Definition of goshawk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.