Definition of gossip in English:
- However, members of the public reading the caption would think it was true and that the gossip he reported was accurate.
- It's still uncertain if the damaging gossip is true, but if it were, I would only respect Sharon that much more!
- It all became as terrible as completely true gossip would be.
- He was, incongruously, an incurable gossip, careful to label rumour for what it was, but fascinated by it…
- The first gossips were Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
- The government encourages village snoops and urban gossips to volunteer their infinite time and darkest thoughts as a way of keeping the rest of us in line.
verb (gossips, gossiping, gossiped)[no object] Back to top
- After the show we all sat in the bar and chatted and gossiped.
- They would have no one to cook for them, no one to clean, and no one to drive the buggy about town while they chatted and gossiped with their friends.
- The girls all gossiped and chatted, laughing really hard when Noah came to the door, and leaned on the frame.
late Old English godsibb 'godfather, godmother, baptismal sponsor', literally 'a person related to one in God', from god 'God' + sibb 'a relative' (see sib). In Middle English the sense was 'a close friend, a person with whom one gossips', hence 'a person who gossips', later (early 19th century) 'idle talk' (from the verb, which dates from the early 17th century).
- Example sentences
- All the gaps I've been discussing are the sorts of things that bedevil, perhaps inspire, all biographers, indeed all gossipers.
- The conversations of these people though, mostly gossipers, was not very interesting as it was considered to me ‘old news’.
- Heading back towards the idle gossipers, he interrupted their conversation.
- Example sentences
- Four elderly women were seated in the centre having a really loud, gossipy conversation.
- I'm just embarrassed at a couple gossipy things I said!
- Your mom isn't guilty of gossipy blabbing - after all, she told your father about something that upset you because they both love and care about you.