1A member of a Germanic people that invaded the Roman Empire from the east between the 3rd and 5th centuries. The eastern division, the Ostrogoths, founded a kingdom in Italy, while the Visigoths went on to found one in Spain.
- What became of the eastern European Germanic Goths?
- In short, in the course of one evening, Busbecq was able to learn enough about Crimean Gothic to convince future linguists that its speakers were not Germans but a distinct group of Goths related to the Visigoths.
- After invasion and settlement by Goths, Visigoths, Turkmen, Arabs and others, it is almost impossible to see the Europeans and North Africans today as the direct heirs of those earlier people.
2 (goth) A style of rock music derived from punk, typically with apocalyptic or mystical lyrics.
- So this is what happens when you mix goth and emo with a major-label budget?
- It's country goth alternative hardcore punk metal and the intensity often masks the stunning playing going on.
- And other things like that have been happening, often when using punk or goth music and stuff related to that.
2.1A member of a subculture favoring black clothing, white and black makeup, and goth music.
- Although she always needed to wear the spectacles she had worn since childhood, the pretty dresses she had worn then were discarded in favour of football shirts, and then, aged 13, the black baggy clothes favoured by Goths.
- Paint your face white and join the Goths then.
- No, he was a true Goth complete with a black, finely tailored suit, shiny black shoes, and the strange black cloak, which he had given to me.
Words that rhyme with Gothbroth, cloth, froth, moth, Roth, wrath
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Goth in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.