Definition of gourami in English:
noun (plural same or gouramis)
A small, brightly colored Asian labyrinth fish, popular in aquariums. It builds a nest of bubbles, which is typically guarded by the male.
- Belontiidae and related families: several species
- We have a freshwater fish tank community of tetras, catfish, gouramis and loaches.
- If you want a somewhat larger Gourami in your aquarium, the Moonlight Gourami is a good option.
- Blue Gouramis are among those fish who possess a labyrinth organ, which allows them to breath air directly.
Late 19th century: from Malay gurami.
Words that rhyme with gouramiarmy, balmy, barmy, macramé, origami, palmy, pastrami, salami, smarmy, swami, tsunami, Yanomami
Definition of gourami in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan