Definition of gourami in English:
noun (plural same or gouramis)
A small, brightly colored Asian labyrinth fish, popular in aquariums. It builds a nest of bubbles, which is typically guarded by the male.
- Belontiidae and related families: several species
- We have a freshwater fish tank community of tetras, catfish, gouramis and loaches.
- If you want a somewhat larger Gourami in your aquarium, the Moonlight Gourami is a good option.
- Blue Gouramis are among those fish who possess a labyrinth organ, which allows them to breath air directly.
Late 19th century: from Malay gurami.
Words that rhyme with gouramiarmy, balmy, barmy, macramé, origami, palmy, pastrami, salami, smarmy, swami, tsunami, Yanomami
Definition of gourami in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.