Definition of gourmand in English:
1A person who enjoys eating and often eats too much.
- I realise I'm doing what gourmands never do - reveal their favourite restaurants for fear of overpopulising, however…
- Like airline food, university cafeterias rarely have a strong and loyal following among the discerning gourmands they serve.
- For gourmands, there is a choice of four restaurants, including two speciality restaurants - Signatures and Latitudes.
1.1A connoisseur of good food.
- The food is the best I've had in an institution - and believe me, by the end of the summer I had become quite the hospital food gourmand.
- Another food and drink festival is now over, but gourmets and gourmands alike will already be looking forward to whetting their palates at next year's.
- I think it's okay, which just goes to show that I'm not exactly a world-class gourmand; but I like the idea that there's a better one out there, not too far away.
Late Middle English: from Old French, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with gourmanddiamond • unopened
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.