1 (the Grail or the Holy Grail) (In medieval legend) the cup or platter used by Jesus at the Last Supper, and in which Joseph of Arimathea received Christ’s blood at the Cross. Quests for it undertaken by medieval knights are described in versions of the Arthurian legends written from the early 13th century onward.
- Late in the twelfth century stories of the Holy Grail began to be written in France.
- Arthur uses the Grail to help his knights focus on something good, rather than fighting amongst themselves.
- And what is King Arthur without Excalibur and the quest for the Holy Grail?
2A thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after: profit has become the holy grail
More example sentences
- At the base of this corner, whose solid rock beckoned me like the Grail, a dozen saplings, all less than wrist size in diameter, spring directly from the only holds on the face.
- You know, he's the Holy Grail and the Holy Grail of course is world peace.
- For the past half century the Holy Grail of physics has been the search for a final Theory of Everything.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of grail in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.