adjective (grainier, grainiest)
1.1 Photography Showing visible grains of emulsion, as characteristic of old photographs or modern high-speed film.
- This work is inseparable from the grainy, vivid texture of 16 mm.
- ‘I wanted the images to be grainy and kind of gritty.
- But I kind of like the grainy, gritty look of the image.
1.2(Of sound, especially recorded music or a voice) having a rough or gravelly quality: the grainy sound of bootleg cassettes
More example sentences
- To my ears, it simply sounds like grainy, muddy ambient music and experiments in granular synthesis.
- I found that the sound was kind of grainy at times and seemed to cut out occasionally.
- Liam's voice, even though it is distinctive, it's different for the lone fact that no one else could sound as whiney, grainy and completely despondent with everything.
2(Of wood) having prominent grain.
- He sat at the sturdy, grainy walnut table.
- I merrily strode over to a park table and dropped my laptop, burger, fries and coffee on the grainy, wooden surface.
- Example sentences
- Lobster Risotto proves very, very soft, but with a hint of graininess in the background, and chopped mushrooms in the mix.
- The lift doors closed, and the young black man reached into his jacket and pulled out something small and dark that I could not recognise at first because of the graininess of the video.
- Photos are sharp and, though close inspection reveals slight graininess, clarity and tones are more than adequate for handing round holiday snaps among friends.
Words that rhyme with grainyBahraini, brainy, Chaney, Eugénie, Janey, Khomeini, rainy, veiny, waney, zany
Definition of grainy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.