Definition of grammaticalize in English:
verb[with object] Linguistics
Change (an element) from one having lexical meaning into one having a largely grammatical function.
- The lexical items that become grammaticalized must first serve commonly needed discourse functions.
- The fact that concepts are grammaticalized differently in different languages is a major problem for translation, especially for machine translation.
- Example sentences
- I have to admit that her derivation probably wouldn't make good news copy, although it is a process that parallels the similar grammaticalization of gonna.
- Language changes like that, when a word with a concrete meaning becomes a word that only expresses a function of grammar, it is called grammaticalization.
- In my syntax seminar the other day we were discussing grammaticalisation in French negation.
Definition of grammaticalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan