Definition of grammaticalize in English:
verb[with object] Linguistics
Change (an element) from one having lexical meaning into one having a largely grammatical function.
- The lexical items that become grammaticalized must first serve commonly needed discourse functions.
- The fact that concepts are grammaticalized differently in different languages is a major problem for translation, especially for machine translation.
- Example sentences
- I have to admit that her derivation probably wouldn't make good news copy, although it is a process that parallels the similar grammaticalization of gonna.
- Language changes like that, when a word with a concrete meaning becomes a word that only expresses a function of grammar, it is called grammaticalization.
- In my syntax seminar the other day we were discussing grammaticalisation in French negation.
Definition of grammaticalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.