Definition of grandee in English:
1A Spanish or Portuguese nobleman of the highest rank.
- The atmospheric spot is decorated like a Spanish grandee's mansion.
- With only 30 bedrooms, each stylishly decorated and furnished, this aristocratic hideaway is the perfect retreat for those who hanker after the Spanish grandee lifestyle.
- No sixteenth century Spanish grandee could speak in such terms and Schiller was well aware of the fact.
1.1A person of high rank or eminence: several city grandees and eminent lawyers
More example sentences
- Its members will likely include chairmen of big companies and other business grandees.
- When combined with the conspicuous deployment of troops and liberal dispensation of patronage to the other princes and Court grandees it was enough to ensure victory.
- Resplendent as a political grandee, he was representative of a high point of aristocratic parliamentarianism before later developments undermined it.
Definition of grandee in:
- British & World English dictionary