Definition of grapefruit in English:
noun (plural same)
1A large, round, yellow citrus fruit with an acid, juicy pulp.
- In a bowl, combine the grapefruit, blood orange, lemon, lime, and tangerine segments.
- Like grapefruit, bitter orange can boost blood levels of many medications and increase the risk of side effects.
- I watched him this morning juicing a grapefruit, guava, blood orange, mango, plums, and grapes and pouring the elixir into a giant glass pitcher.
2The tree bearing the grapefruit.
- Citrus paradisi, family Rutaceae
- Mark called in about black mould on his grapefruit tree and fruit.
- The grapefruit tree produced 19 fruits last year.
- When his group planted Florida-derived rootstock of Star Ruby grapefruit in Texas, the fruit produced some 50 percent more of this carotenoid than it had in Florida.
Words that rhyme with grapefruitsnakeroot • beetroot
Definition of grapefruit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.