Definition of grass pea in English:
A plant of the pea family which is cultivated as food for animals and humans, though excessive consumption can lead to lathyrism. Also called chickling pea.
- Lathyrus sativus, family Leguminosae
- In this context, the grass pea is a wild relative of pea that possesses several interesting agronomic traits that might be useful for P. sativum, especially in terms of disease resistance.
- In India, grass pea is the cheapest pulse crop available.
- Neurolathyrism is a spastic paraparesis that can be caused by excessive consumption of the drought-resistant grass pea (Lathyrus sativus).
Definition of grass pea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan