Definition of grass pea in English:
A plant of the pea family which is cultivated as food for animals and humans, though excessive consumption can lead to lathyrism. Also called chickling pea.
- Lathyrus sativus, family Leguminosae
- In this context, the grass pea is a wild relative of pea that possesses several interesting agronomic traits that might be useful for P. sativum, especially in terms of disease resistance.
- In India, grass pea is the cheapest pulse crop available.
- Neurolathyrism is a spastic paraparesis that can be caused by excessive consumption of the drought-resistant grass pea (Lathyrus sativus).
Definition of grass pea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.