A small Caribbean and tropical American songbird related to the buntings, the male being partly or mainly black.
- Family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae): three genera, in particular Tiaris, and several species
More example sentences
- Recent studies of blue-black grassquits and blue grosbeaks suggest that structural plumage coloration is dependent on nutritional condition and thus could reliably signal mate quality.
- They include the bananaquit, the blue-black grassquit, the blackfaced grassquit, and the St. Lucia black finch.
- In our study, however, perches used by the grassquits emerged above the surrounding grassland vegetation, and displaying males were visible when resting, but became more conspicuous to us when they executed their displays.
Definition of grassquit in:
- The British & World English dictionary