Definition of grayling in English:
1An edible freshwater fish of Eurasia and North America that is silvery-gray with horizontal violet stripes and has a long, high dorsal fin.
- Genus Thymallus, family Salmonidae: several species
- By carrying out the project we hope to attract fish, such as chub, dace, grayling and trout as well as other wildlife back to this particular stretch of river.
- Most species of river fish will be surveyed including trout, grayling, dace, barbel, chub and pike.
- Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.
2A mainly brown European butterfly that has wings with bright eyespots and grayish undersides.
- Hipparchia semele, subfamily Satyrinae, family Nymphalidae
- The grayling is a common heathland butterfly.
- Has anyone come across the magnificent Banded Grayling Butterfly in this area in recent years?
- This Grayling Butterfly is sunning itself on the bark of a large Pine tree, if I had not seen it pitch it probably would have gone undetected.
Definition of grayling in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia