Definition of grayling in English:
1An edible freshwater fish of Eurasia and North America that is silvery-gray with horizontal violet stripes and has a long, high dorsal fin.
- Genus Thymallus, family Salmonidae: several species
- By carrying out the project we hope to attract fish, such as chub, dace, grayling and trout as well as other wildlife back to this particular stretch of river.
- Most species of river fish will be surveyed including trout, grayling, dace, barbel, chub and pike.
- Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.
2A mainly brown European butterfly that has wings with bright eyespots and grayish undersides.
- Hipparchia semele, subfamily Satyrinae, family Nymphalidae
- The grayling is a common heathland butterfly.
- Has anyone come across the magnificent Banded Grayling Butterfly in this area in recent years?
- This Grayling Butterfly is sunning itself on the bark of a large Pine tree, if I had not seen it pitch it probably would have gone undetected.
Definition of grayling in:
- British & World English dictionary