Definition of green woodpecker in English:
A large green and yellow woodpecker with a red crown and a laughing call, found from Europe to central Asia.
- Picus viridis, family Picidae
- There was also lots of other great wildlife to see in the area around Malham Cove including nesting little owls, green woodpeckers and redstarts.
- They are organising a project to monitor the green woodpeckers in the National Park - there has recently been a decline in their numbers and the park authority would like see how many there are left.
- The dawn chorus is a medley of warblers and shrikes, and, always from the same tree, the klu-klu-klu of a green woodpecker.
Definition of green woodpecker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.