- 1 (also greengage plum) A sweet, greenish fruit resembling a small plum. Also called gage3.More example sentences
- Cover and leave to simmer for 15 min, stirring regularly to crush the greengages down to a pulp.
- Bake the tart for 50-60 minutes, until the almond filling is cooked and the plums or greengages are tender.
- If they are greengages, they'll be sweet and suitable for eating.
- 2The tree bearing the greengage fruit.
More example sentences
- Prunus domestica subsp. italica (or P. italica), family Rosaceae
- Residents are now planning to plant another 70 trees, including cherry and greengage, at the orchard, off Leigh Road.
early 18th century: named after Sir William Gage (1657–1727), the English botanist who introduced it to England.
More definitions of greengageDefinition of greengage in:
- The British & World English dictionary