Definition of greengage in English:
1 (also greengage plum) A sweet, greenish fruit resembling a small plum. Also called gage3.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 15 min, stirring regularly to crush the greengages down to a pulp.
- Bake the tart for 50-60 minutes, until the almond filling is cooked and the plums or greengages are tender.
- If they are greengages, they'll be sweet and suitable for eating.
2The tree bearing the greengage fruit.
- Prunus domestica subsp. italica (or P. italica), family Rosaceae
- Residents are now planning to plant another 70 trees, including cherry and greengage, at the orchard, off Leigh Road.
Early 18th century: named after Sir William Gage (1657–1727), the English botanist who introduced it to England.
Words that rhyme with greengageribcage • birdcage
Definition of greengage in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan