Definition of greenstone in English:
1A greenish igneous rock containing feldspar and hornblende.
- The primary rocks of the Bradshaw Mountains are granites and greenstones (gneiss and schist).
- Greenwell discovered numerous antler picks scattered throughout the mine as well as the ground stone axe made of greenstone from Cornwall.
- Some of the oldest rocks on earth have also been found here: the greenstone is estimated to be 3 000-million years old.
1.1chiefly New Zealand A variety of nephrite.
- This same dress code, however, allows Maori students to wear bone and greenstone necklaces as part of the school's ‘Treaty of Waitangi obligations’.
- In early 1913 six Maori greenstone artefacts disappeared from a showcase in the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.
- After performing a waiata the students presented Potikitaua-Taraare with a greenstone necklace and other gifts.
Words that rhyme with greenstoneWheatstone
Definition of greenstone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan