- 1An imaginary mischievous sprite regarded as responsible for an unexplained problem or fault, especially a mechanical or electronic one: a gremlin in my computer omitted a lineMore example sentences
- We wish to clarify that gremlins were responsible for yesterday's story naming Ben O'Connor as Cork hurling captain.
- One-to-one sessions are being offered to help people chase away computer gremlins throughout the week.
- He also had ambitions to write restaurant reviews for a student rag and partook of a few free meals with that end in mind, but when he handed in the disk it was blank, the work, he said, of a computer gremlin.
- 1.1An unexplained problem or fault.More example sentences
- Unfortunately, we encountered some electrical gremlins in Pomona, and, as a result, we have had to backtrack to square one to establish a solid baseline.
- We also had an electrical gremlin that affected us for longer than what we thought.
- McLaren must be facing Melbourne with mixed feelings, because for the past two years, they have had the quickest car on the track, only to fall away in the opening two races with mechanical gremlins.
1940s: perhaps suggested by goblin.
More definitions of gremlinDefinition of gremlin in:
- The British & World English dictionary