Definition of grep in English:
A Unix command used to search files for the occurrence of a string of characters that matches a specified pattern.
- This utility will search through your mail log file using grep and display important statistics gleaned from that file: largest messages, source of most messages, etc.
- I am obviously not the only person who has ever reverted to grep and find after failing to remember where a particular file is stored on a web site.
- In fact, it works a lot like grep: if you give a snippet of your e-mail address or some other text as your key identifier, gpg will match the first key whose user ID contains the string.
verb (greps, grepping, grepped)[with object] Back to top
Search for (a string of characters) using grep.
- It's not too hard to grep the logs for ‘error’ or ‘warning’ and include that in the email, too.
- With tvguide, I can grab what's on the site quickly, grep it and tune in something interesting on my TV card.
- This is so derivative, but I want these links here when I grep my archives.
From the initial letters of global(ly) search regular expression print.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan