Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of grey drake in English:
1The greyish gravid female of certain mayflies.
- Genus Ephemera, family Ephemeridae
- Green and grey drakes were hatching profusely, right along with Hexagenias - all huge, elegant, juicy trout meals.
- The gray drakes were hatching in the shallows, and fish - some big - were rising steadily.
- The grey drakes are in the family Siphlonuridae and can be found in faster water.
1.1An artificial fishing fly that imitates the grey drake.
- Fly Fishing Manager Tony Mort of Orvis Chicago suggests having plenty of Hendricksons, BWOs, caddis, and grey drakes when dry fly-fishing in Michigan.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.