Definition of griffon in English:
1A dog of any of several terrierlike breeds originating in northwestern Europe.
- In France the wirehaired pointing griffon and the Brittany were bred for similar motives, as was the Vizsla in Hungary.
1.1 (also Brussels griffon) A dog of a toy breed with a flat face and upturned chin.
- According to the AKC, the oft-maligned Toy group is making a comeback of sorts: The registration list's biggest climbers these days are the Chinese crested and the Brussels griffon.
- The Brussels griffon seems to have descended from a dog used by 17th-century Belgian peasants to rid their stables of rats.
2 (also griffon vulture) A large Old World vulture with predominantly pale brown plumage.
- Genus Gyps, family Accipitridae: four species, in particular the Eurasian G. fulvus and the African Ruppell’s griffon (G. ruepelli)
- For birdwatchers, several hundred species call India home, including the rare narcondum hornbill, megapode, and griffon vulture.
- There is also plenty of birdlife up here, and there are frequent sightings of griffon vultures.
- Dozens of griffon vultures with wingspans of up to 2.80 metres were spotted in the south of the Netherlands on Monday.
Words that rhyme with griffonstiffen
Definition of griffon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.