Definition of griffon in English:
1.1 (also Brussels griffon) A dog of a toy breed with a flat face and upturned chin.
- According to the AKC, the oft-maligned Toy group is making a comeback of sorts: The registration list's biggest climbers these days are the Chinese crested and the Brussels griffon.
- The Brussels griffon seems to have descended from a dog used by 17th-century Belgian peasants to rid their stables of rats.
2 (also griffon vulture) A large Old World vulture with predominantly pale brown plumage.
- Genus Gyps, family Accipitridae: four species, in particular the Eurasian G. fulvus and the African Ruppell’s griffon (G. ruepelli)
- For birdwatchers, several hundred species call India home, including the rare narcondum hornbill, megapode, and griffon vulture.
- There is also plenty of birdlife up here, and there are frequent sightings of griffon vultures.
- Dozens of griffon vultures with wingspans of up to 2.80 metres were spotted in the south of the Netherlands on Monday.
Words that rhyme with griffonstiffen
Definition of griffon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan