Definition of grig in English:
2A grasshopper or cricket.
- Humped-winged grigs are found in coniferous forests; C. strepitans also occurs in high altitude sagebrush.
- You can listen to songs of grigs and find out more about them at the Web site above.
- (as) merry (or lively) as a grig
- British dialect Full of fun; extravagantly lively.Example sentences
- Everyone said Annabelle had been merry as a grig before the man she loved married elsewhere.
- I think it was a cricket, but when I heard it, I was merry as a grig!
- They were more than fairly high, merry as grigs, and prepared to go on all night.
Middle English (in the sense 'dwarf'): of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with grigbig, brig, dig, fig, gig, jig, lig, pig, prig, rig, snig, sprig, swig, tig, trig, twig, Whig, wig
Definition of grig in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.