nounBritish • dialect
- 2A grasshopper or cricket.More example sentences
- Humped-winged grigs are found in coniferous forests; C. strepitans also occurs in high altitude sagebrush.
- You can listen to songs of grigs and find out more about them at the Web site above.
(as) merry (or lively) as a grig
- Full of fun; extravagantly lively.More example sentences
- Everyone said Annabelle had been merry as a grig before the man she loved married elsewhere.
- I think it was a cricket, but when I heard it, I was merry as a grig!
- They were more than fairly high, merry as grigs, and prepared to go on all night.
Middle English (in the sense 'dwarf'): of unknown origin.
More definitions of grigDefinition of grig in:
- The British & World English dictionary