Definition of grisaille in English:
1A method of painting in gray monochrome, typically to imitate sculpture.
- Painted in grisaille, they show a top-hatted character wandering through hilly landscapes and inclement weather.
- Although she paints basically in grisaille, she will often add color to the figures to approximate old-fashioned hand-tinted photographs.
- The center panel, executed in grisaille, shows the dog of the title - a pointer - walking down a flight of stairs somewhat uneasily, as dogs tend to do.
1.1A painting or stained-glass window in grisaille style.
- When Eddy and Sophie met he mainly painted grisailles, works in shades of grey.
- The mechanically produced grisailles are of the same high standard of quality that I have always demanded of my work.
- He made grisailles of the destitute and maimed which have a moralizing character.
mid 19th century: French, from gris 'gray'.
Definition of grisaille in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia