Definition of griseofulvin in English:
An antibiotic used against fungal infections of the hair and skin.
- This antibiotic is obtained from the mold penicillium griseovulvum
- The professor said that the antifungal drug, griseofulvin, has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells in his laboratory.
- The most commonly used drug is called griseofulvin, and you usually have to take it for up to 10 weeks.
- Among the systemic antifungal agents available, griseofulvin, terbinafine and itraconazole are effective.
1930s: from the modern Latin binomial, from medieval Latin griseus 'grayish' + Latin fulvus 'reddish yellow'.
Definition of griseofulvin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.