1The area between the abdomen and the thigh on either side of the body.
- Patients may have pain in the anterior groin, anterior thigh, buttock, greater trochanter, or medial knee.
- Swelling and tenderness was noted in the groin and proximal thigh.
- In femoral fractures, patients usually complain of pain in the groin, anterior thigh, or knee, as well as painful range of motion of the hip.
2 Architecture A curved edge formed by two intersecting vaults.
- It is characterized by heavy, load-bearing masonry, the round-headed arch and its derivatives, the groin, and barrel vaulting.
- Gilt threads glittered in the weave of pennants and tapestries and high overhead a gold-trimmed groin vault shouldered off the arches of a marble ceiling.
- The corridor opened into a T-junction in a groin vault serving as a landing for a broad, dimly-lit staircase.
Late Middle English grynde, perhaps from Old English grynde 'depression, abyss'.
Words that rhyme with groinadjoin, Boulogne, coign, coin, conjoin, Des Moines, Dordogne, enjoin, groyne, join, loin, purloin, quoin, subjoin
A low wall or sturdy timber barrier built out into the sea from a beach to check erosion and drifting.
- Four new groynes - timber planking walls running down the beach towards the water - will help trap sand and give greater protection to the base of the wall.
- Visit any coastal area and you will see defence features such as groynes, sea walls and banks.
- We're blowing all this money to build houses and ruin habitat with so-called beach renourishment and jetties, groins and seawalls.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.