1The area between the abdomen and the thigh on either side of the body.
- Patients may have pain in the anterior groin, anterior thigh, buttock, greater trochanter, or medial knee.
- Swelling and tenderness was noted in the groin and proximal thigh.
- In femoral fractures, patients usually complain of pain in the groin, anterior thigh, or knee, as well as painful range of motion of the hip.
2 Architecture A curved edge formed by two intersecting vaults.
- It is characterized by heavy, load-bearing masonry, the round-headed arch and its derivatives, the groin, and barrel vaulting.
- Gilt threads glittered in the weave of pennants and tapestries and high overhead a gold-trimmed groin vault shouldered off the arches of a marble ceiling.
- The corridor opened into a T-junction in a groin vault serving as a landing for a broad, dimly-lit staircase.
late Middle English grynde, perhaps from Old English grynde 'depression, abyss'.
A low wall or sturdy timber barrier built out into the sea from a beach to check erosion and drifting.
- Four new groynes - timber planking walls running down the beach towards the water - will help trap sand and give greater protection to the base of the wall.
- Visit any coastal area and you will see defence features such as groynes, sea walls and banks.
- We're blowing all this money to build houses and ruin habitat with so-called beach renourishment and jetties, groins and seawalls.