Definition of ground glass in English:
1Glass with a smooth ground surface that renders it nontransparent while retaining its translucency.
- The image is projected upwards onto a translucent screen, typically of ground glass - although other translucent materials can also serve.
- The stopcock consists of an inner piece of ground glass that fits tightly into the glass tube and that can be rotated in a tightly fitting casing.
- The company makes its ordinary-looking line of heavy-duty cleaning blocks from 98 percent recycled ground glass, an environmentally safe alternative to the strip mining that gives us pumice for use in many of our household products.
2Glass ground into an abrasive powder.
- To make their strings sharper, boys ‘glass’ them by soaking them in a mixture of ground glass and paste.
- Modern buildings are filled with all sorts of materials that human beings should not inhale: asbestos, mercury, lead, concrete dust, ground glass, and who knows what else.
- To make it more durable, the majority of a resin composite is actually finely ground glass or a similar material.
Definition of ground glass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan