A burrowing squirrel that is typically highly social, found chiefly in North America and northern Eurasia, where it usually hibernates in winter. Also called gopher1.
- Spermophilus and other genera, family Sciuridae: many species, including the sousliks and chipmunks
More example sentences
- Dimples and scratches in the sand also reveal the presence of numerous small mammals, including kangaroo rats, ground squirrels, pocket mice, and wood rats.
- There are three basic body forms in squirrels: tree squirrels, ground squirrels and flying squirrels.
- Some ermine appropriate the burrows of mice or ground squirrels and adapt them for their own use.
Definition of ground squirrel in:
- The British & World English dictionary