1February 2, when the groundhog is said to come out of its hole at the end of hibernation. If the animal sees its shadow—i.e., if the weather is sunny—it is said to portend six weeks more of winter weather.
- With Groundhog Day but a distant memory, it's time for local newscasters to dust off the perennial V-Day human interest story.
- As most Americans know, Groundhog Day is February 2.
- An important part of preparing for our trek to Punxsutawney involved doing some background research on the whole Groundhog Day tradition.
1.1A situation in which a series of unwelcome or tedious events appear to be recurring in exactly the same way: she lived an unrelenting Groundhog Day of laundry, shopping, and rearing us kids
In reference to the 1993 movie Groundhog Day, in which the central character finds himself repeatedly reliving the events of a particular Groundhog Day
More example sentences
- It is Groundhog Day in the Democrat primaries.
- Indeed, when they scored two tries early in the second half to take the lead, there was an air of Groundhog Day dread among an anxious crowd.
- The only guarantee is that it will come again: Every day here is Groundhog Day.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: Ground·hog Day
Definition of Groundhog Day in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.