Definition of groundsel in English:
- Genus Senecio, family Compositae: several species, in particular the common groundsel (S. vulgaris), which is a common weed. See also giant groundsel
- In the last analysis, groundsels breeding groundsels is not evolution - that's groundless!
- While studying a drab little plant called the groundsel, he was struck by the fact that plants of the same genetic variety could look very different in different environments.
- The image, of a groundsel, shows Britain's newest species of plant - found next to the railway station car park in York.
Old English gundæswelgiæ (later grundeswylige), probably from gund 'pus' + swelgan 'to swallow' (with reference to its use in poultices). The later form may be by association with ground1, and refer to the plant's rapid growth.
Words that rhyme with groundselcouncil, counsel
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.