Definition of grouper in English:
A large or very large heavy-bodied fish of the sea bass family, with a big head and wide mouth, found in warm seas.
- Family Serranidae: several genera, in particular Epinephelus and Mycteroperca. The Nassau grouper (E. striatus) is the most economically important fish of the Bahamas
- Large fish such as groupers and moray eels can often be found resting next to a colony of shrimps, which flit out and crawl over the fish's skin while cleaning it.
- It is another country - on the dive we see angelfish, tarpon, grouper and moray eels.
- Larger fish such as groupers or other sharks have been known to prey on whitetips.
early 17th century: from Portuguese garoupa, probably from a local term in South America.
Definition of grouper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia