Definition of growler in English:
1A person or thing that growls.
- There's a plethora of black PVC and peek-a-boo backsides, as opposed to the usual cliches of strangely hirsute growlers sprouting hairs on the palms of their hands while scuttling about in swirling peasoupers.
- Yet despite this jollier presence, he demonstrated yet again that he's one of pop music's first-class growlers.
- You get it all here - Iggy the crooner, Iggy the growler, Iggy the philosopher and Iggy the rager, raging against the dying of the night where the street fight that is rock mocks the slippery stranglehold of the recording industry.
2A small iceberg that rises little above the water.
- In the spring and early summer, the additional hazard of icebergs and growlers were often a distinct possibility.
- Like icebergs, growlers are a major hazard to seagoing craft.
- A growler is an iceberg between one and 5 metres above water; a bergy bit, 1-4; small, 5-15; medium, 16-45; large, 46-75; very large, over 75.
3US informal A pail or other container used for carrying drink, especially draft beer.
- In pre-Prohibition times it was common for fathers to dispatch their progeny to the saloon with a growler to collect beer, and it was probably named for the growling sound a metal bucket full of beer makes when pushed across a bar top.
- Additional crowd pleasers are the restaurant's daily Hoppy Hour, which features half-price appetizers and discounted beer, and BJ's 1/2 gallon growler to go.
Words that rhyme with growlerfowler, howler, prowler, scowler
Definition of growler in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.