- 1Grime; dirt.More example sentences
- But there must be limits to disgust as well, because you know we also need a bit of dirt and grunge in our lives to prime our immune system.
- Besides the sheer danger of war reporting, these books give a palpable sense of the dislocation and discomfort of the job, the stench of war and the deafening noise of it, the grunge and grime of it.
- It felt so good to wash away the grunge and grime of the previous night and I stood in the shower a bit longer than necessary, thankful that God had indeed created hot water tanks.
- 2 (also grunge rock) A style of rock music characterized by a raucous guitar sound and lazy vocal delivery.More example sentences
- But rock took a back seat in the last two decades because of the predominance of electronic music, as well as the emergence of strains like grunge rock and hip-hop, which did not appeal to mainstream Indian viewers.
- Not everyone has been content with this story focusing, as it does, on how one 1990s set of mid-west grunge rock artists blended rock with the country music of the small town America where they lived.
- ‘In the midst of all this,’ he writes of the era of Generation X and grunge rock, ‘satire alone could be safely, unequivocally embraced, because it acknowledged the sanctity of nothing at all.’
- 2.1The fashion associated with grunge rock, including loose, layered clothing and ripped jeans.More example sentences
- The convergence of grunge with high fashion in the 1990s was an indication of the growing tension between the style sought by wealth and mass-marketing necessity.
- Eventually they arrived, the new vehicle of choice for whiskered hippie types who explored the trails in jeans and flannel shirts way before grunge became popular.
- But along came Tom, with his low-cut velvet hipsters and his slinky jersey dresses, and grunge was sent scurrying off back to Seattle.
- More example sentences
- I got so disgusted with the stickiness and grunginess of my keyboard the other day, I decided to take action.
- The atmosphere was edgy and cool without relying on grunginess to add to the place's "character".
- The reason I can't give this place the full set of stars is because of the grunginess.
grungy (also grungey)
- More example sentences
- Dull Edges is a three-piece rock 'n' roll band from Brooklyn with a grungey psychedelic sound.
- I found Ashton completely absorbed under the hood of some grungy old dilapidated-looking car.
- I had been on the run for about two weeks and began to feel grungy from the lack of bathing.
More definitions of grungeDefinition of grunge in:
- The British & World English dictionary