Definition of grunion in English:
A small, slender Californian fish that swarms onto beaches at night to spawn. The eggs are buried in the sand, and the young fish are swept out to sea on the following spring tide.
- Leuresthes tenuis, family Atherinidae
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- This could also affect fish like the grunion, which spawn according to tidal changes.
- A similar set of tradeoffs may explain why surf smelt, which spawn in fine gravel, can spawn successfully lower in the intertidal zone than grunion, spawning in sand.
early 20th century: probably from Spanish gruñón 'grunter'.
Definition of grunion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia