- A small, slender Californian fish that swarms onto beaches at night to spawn. The eggs are buried in the sand, and the young fish are swept out to sea on the following spring tide.
More example sentences
- Leuresthes tenuis, family Atherinidae
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- This could also affect fish like the grunion, which spawn according to tidal changes.
- A similar set of tradeoffs may explain why surf smelt, which spawn in fine gravel, can spawn successfully lower in the intertidal zone than grunion, spawning in sand.
early 20th century: probably from Spanish gruñón 'grunter'.
More definitions of grunionDefinition of grunion in:
- The British & World English dictionary