Definition of guaiacol in English:
An oily yellow liquid with a penetrating odor, obtained by distilling wood tar or guaiac, used as a flavoring and an expectorant.
- Alternative name: o-methoxyphenol; chemical formula: HOC6H4OCH3
- The two main synthetic sources of synthetic vanillin are from guaiacol (chemical industry) and from lignin (paper industry).
- Glyceryl ether of guaiacol, commonly known as guaifenesin, is present in multiple cough and cold preparations.
- Its synthetic counterpart, made from guaiacol or eugenol, is used in artificial vanillas.
Definition of guaiacol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.