noun (plural same)
1A member of an American Indian people of Paraguay and adjacent regions.
- Last year I was one such person, who as part of a 10-month journey through South America travelled to the former Jesuit mission towns of the Chiquitos Indians in Bolivia, and those of the Guarani in Paraguay and Argentina.
- Since the natural habitat of this plant is in northeastern Paraguay near the Brazilian border, certain Native Americans of the region, particularly the Guarani, were the first to take advantage of its sweet properties.
- Although the Guarani gave women to the Spanish to cement their alliance, the Spanish took many more women, as well as food and other goods, by force.
2The language of the Guarani, one of the main divisions of the Tupi-Guarani language family and a national language of Paraguay.
- Continuing to speak Guarani, the native language, is the way Paraguayans distinguish themselves from the rest of South America.
- So where I live now, there are no indigenous, but there's a racially mixed population which still speaks Guarani as its language, though they have Spanish surnames.
- I don't think I've ever read anything in Catalan about native American languages so I can't say for sure that Guarani isn't called Tupi-Guarani in Catalan, but I doubt it.
3 (guarani) The basic monetary unit of Paraguay, equal to 100 centimos.
- Paraguay's currency is the guarani, with an exchange rate of approximately 3500 guaranis to one U.S. dollar in 1999.
- It is demanding a wage schedule that pays a minimum of 972,000 guaranis.
Relating to the Guarani or their language.
- Guarani, a Tupi Guarani language and the language of eastern Paraguay's dominant precolonial indigenous population, is recognized as an official national language along with Spanish.
- But the viewer can also see the joy and richness of Guarani culture.
- Rather, Indians were active participants in the creation of a flourishing and unique Guarani mission culture.
Words that rhyme with Guaraniabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Guarani in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.