A loud and boisterous laugh.
- A raised eyebrow, loud guffaw, smirk or other facial expressions could all be banned in future political debate under rules proposed for the city council of the Californian city of Palo Alto.
- She paused before letting out a short but loud guffaw.
- There came a loud almost evil-sounding guffaw from behind them.
Laugh in a loud or boisterous way: both men guffawed at the remark
More example sentences
- As you sit in a small, black theatre watching a contemporary dance piece, the woman beside you sighs with knowing delight, while the man behind you heartily guffawed about five minutes ago, but who knows why?
- Her husband, also a film star, most laid back, most charming and who I was meeting for the first time, guffawed loudly and candidly acted out an impromptu spiel for me.
- Then a strange bloke started to hover near us (not literally although that would have been fun!) and every time I laughed he quietly guffawed.
Early 18th century (originally Scots): imitative.
Words that rhyme with guffawabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.