Definition of gular in English:
Of, relating to, or situated on the throat of an animal, especially a reptile, fish, or bird.
- Such a mechanism would have been analogous to expansion of the buccal and gular cavities of fishes and many tetrapods by the hyobranchial muscles acting on the hyoid arches.
- First each lizard ran normally; then a plastic tube was inserted into the mouth to keep the animal's mouth open and prevent gular pumping.
- By way of analogy, pelecaniforms also use large gular pouches for feeding young and in cooling behaviors, both entirely plausible behaviors for pareiasaurs.
nounBack to top
A plate or scale on the throat of a reptile or fish.
- As we discussed in connection with the gulars, the opercular series seems to have developed from serial repetition of a simple overlapping laminar series of scales, as exemplified in some Acanthodii.
- Long remarks that Onychodus is primitive because, among other things, it has submandibular plates rather than branchiostegal rays, although it does possess gulars of a sort.
- The median gular plate is large, extending the length of the orbit; it is ovoid and bears the usual two small pit lines fused into a V. Behind it, the paired lateral gulars are slightly wider than the first branchiostegal rays.
Definition of gular in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia