Definition of gumma in English:
noun (plural gummas or gummata /ˈɡəmətə/)Medicine
A small, soft swelling that is characteristic of the late stages of syphilis and occurs in the connective tissue of the liver, brain, testes, and heart.
- Many patients advance to tertiary syphilis with cardiac, neurologic, and cutaneous gummas, which are painless nodules, asymmetrically distributed in groups on the face and trunk.
- If you have late syphilis, you may develop gummas (say: gum-mahs).
- Example sentences
- Tertiary or late syphilis is classified into gummatous syphilis, cardiovascular syphilis, and neurosyphilis.
- Even without a confirmatory rapid plasma reagin test or darkfield examination of the gummatous discharge, the diagnosis of secondary syphilis was obvious.
Definition of gumma in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India