Definition of gunmetal in English:
1A gray, corrosion-resistant form of bronze containing zinc, formerly used for making cannon.
- Chill cast leaded gunmetals are widely used for miscellaneous small bushes of low stressing but they are, of course, considerably less wear resistant than gunmetal and phosphor bronzes.
- It became fashionable to own objects in base metal, so Faberge started to use gunmetal, copper and brass.
- Loose copper bullet casings and gunmetal gleamed coldly in the light sparkling like pieces of ice, cold and deadly.
1.1 (also gunmetal gray) A dark blue-brown gray color: [as modifier]: the river glinted brass under a gunmetal sky
More example sentences
- However, you can achieve a nice effect more simply by simply painting the pieces with a dark paint - our furniture came in a sort of gunmetal gray, but dark green or black would also work.
- The early day was cool, the sky a soft gunmetal gray.
- Morning sun and cold temperatures had quickly been replaced with gunmetal gray skies and the promise of an even colder afternoon.
Definition of gunmetal in:
- British & World English dictionary