Definition of guttural in English:
1(Of a speech sound) produced in the throat; harsh-sounding.
- It seemed the werewolf was on the verge of talking, but all that escaped its throat was a guttural growl.
- And in 1995, the blind musician became the first American ever to compete in an unusual contest of multi-harmonic - and highly guttural - throat singing.
- Deep guttural growls came from the alleyway, as well as fearful whimpering.
1.1(Of a manner of speech) characterized by the use of guttural sounds: his parents' guttural central European accent
More example sentences
- His speech has the guttural accent of his native Germany.
- The incorporation of guttural sounds and shouts appeared as honest and spontaneous reactions to his movement.
- After months of therapy, she recovered physically and could make guttural sounds.
nounBack to top
A guttural consonant (e.g., k, g) or other speech sound.
- An obvious reason for this is that English, with all its Celtic gutturals and hard consonants, packs more of a punch when strung together compared to the more languid, Latin-based French.
- He held cloudy memories of a great city, tall houses rippling their reflections in rank canals; grubby gutturals and phlegmish dialects filled his head, and sometimes the clouds rolled away leaving a fine clear view.
- You may find yourself drawn to the wide and windswept gutturals of Russian, for example, or Polish.
- Example sentences
- In answer, the robed god tossed a card down, grunting out its name a little more gutturally than he had meant to, for one does not keep up the reputation being a guardian of humanity requires by grunting.
- Sora growled gutturally as he moved up near Micah's throat.
- They continually rammed each other and began to scream gutturally at the anticipation of devouring so much sin-soaked flesh.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan